Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Need more help?

The live chat connects you with CSGA staff during our business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EST. If you are trying to reach us outside of those hours, you can use the chat to send us a note and we will get back to you.

You may also contact us at:
613-236-0497 x8803

CSGA Website

For accounting inquiries:
613-236-0497 x8807

  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  • Item

Tech Support

Q. Why do some buttons not do anything (e.g., documents don't open)?
Your browser's pop-up blocker may be preventing links from opening. If a button or link doesn't work, enable pop-ups for SeedCert.

Q. What web browser should I be using to access SeedCert?
We recommend using the latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Q. I'm having difficulties with your site, how do I get help?
If you are experiencing technical difficulties, you can often fix issues by enabling pop-ups or switching browsers to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

If these steps don't work, a live chat feature is available on the bottom right corner of our site. This live chat connects you with CSGA staff during our business hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. EST. If you are trying to reach us outside of those hours, you can use this chat to send us a note and we will get back to you. You may also email questions to or call 613-236-0497 x 8803.

Q. I clicked 'Sign' and everything went grey. What happened?
Many forms require a signature. If you click the 'Sign' button on a form and the form goes grey, scroll up to the top of the form to see the signature box.

Q. My session timed out. Did CSGA receive my application? Was a draft saved?
A "Thank You" message is displayed on screen and a confirmation email is sent to the email listed on your account when an application is successfully submitted to CSGA. You will also be able to see your fields listed in the Crop History tab. Unfortunately, drafts are not saved if the browser times out or is closed.

Q. I'm on dial-up and the application process is slow. What can I do?
Printable PDF versions of the applications may be requested from the CSGA office. Contact or 613-236-0497 x8803 to make the request.

Enable Pop-ups

To enable pop-ups for SeedCert, follow the steps for your browser:

Membership Support

Q. How do I change my password?
You can change your password in the My Account tab, found in the top right corner of SeedCert.

Q. I'm moving or have changed my email address. How do I update my contact information?
Account owners can update their contact information in the My Account tab located in the top right corner of SeedCert.

Q. How do I change my communication preferences?
Account owners can update their communication preferences in the My Account tab located in the top right corner of SeedCert.

Q. How do I add or remove someone from my account?
If you are part of a family or farm group account, you can remove yourself from the account by emailing us. Whether you are deactivating your account or wishing to split off and receive your own membership, CSGA will need written confirmation from the person whose status is changing. Please indicate the grower number of the person(s) affected in your email, or if you wish you can also mail us at P.O. Box 8455, Ottawa ON  K1C 3T1.

Q. What is the section about "third party authorization" on my Membership Application/Renewal form?
By authorizing a third party, a grower can allow another seed company or individual to have the same access to specific fields as an assignee would, except that the third party does not receive the Crop Certificate. Authorized third parties can submit an Application for CSGA Seed Crop Certification on behalf of the grower.

Q. I want to let another grower submit an Application for CSGA Seed Crop Certification on my behalf, but I didn't see that option on my CSGA Membership Application/Renewal form. What can I do to allow third party authorization?
Growers can authorize third parties to submit applications on their behalf. This option is available on the CSGA Membership Application/Renewal form by answering yes to 'Would you like to authorize a third party to submit an application on your behalf?', and choosing from the list that follows. If your membership form has already been completed, you can also grant authorization by completing the Third Party Authorization form, found on the Forms tab.

Application Support

Q. How do I view copies of my applications, crop inspection reports, and crop certificates?
Copies of your applications, crop inspection reports, tags, and maps can be viewed on the 'Crop History' tab. At the left side of each row there is an arrow (>). Click on an arrow to see more detailed information and documentation for that field. Crop certificates can be found in the 'Crop Certificates' tab.

Q. I have too many applications listed. Is there any way to quickly find one?
On the 'Crop History' tab, you can use the filters on the left to narrow the list by status, grower, or year. You can also use magnifying class on the top right to search for a specific field. Each column also has its own filter/search as well.

Q. What are the deadline dates to apply for seed crop certification?
Different crop kinds have different application deadline dates. These deadline dates, as well as all the required information for submitting an Application for CSGA Seed Crop Certification are available on the CSGA website on the Application for Membership and Seed Crop Certification webpage. To avoid paying late penalties, ensure that our application is submitted to the CSGA office by the following dates:

  • May 5: Winter canola/rapeseed
  • May 25: Fall seeded cereals
  • June 10: Fababeans forages, flax, canola, mustard, corn, and field peas
  • June 20: All other crops not listed here
  • July 10: Field beans and buckwheat
  • July 25: Soybeans

Q. I did not receive an application package. What should I do?
The application package contains important documents that all seed growers should familiarize themselves with. Members can complete the CSGA Membership Application/Renewal and the Application for CSGA Seed Crop Certification through the 'Apply Now' tab. The Application Support Document, the Field Definition Document, and the Inspection Service Search Tool are also available online. You may also contact the CSGA office to request a package by email or 613-236-0497 x8803.

Q. I made a mistake on my application. How do I correct it or make a modification to my application?
You may modify parts of your application directly through the Crop History tab before the inspection has been conducted. Click the blue arrow on the left-hand side of the row to expand the '360° view' for that field and click on 'Modify Application'. If the inspection has already been conducted, send requested changes to the CSGA office.

Q. How do I cancel my fields/applications?
To cancel an application, please contact your inspection serviceTo cancel an application before or by May 15th, please contact the CSGA office. Applications cancelled on or after May 16th can be cancelled by contacting your inspection service (ASCIS), not the CSGA office. Your inspection service will submit a cancellation request to CSGA. CSGA and Branch membership fees are non-refundable but CSGA and Branch acreage fees will be credited and a Cancellation Fee of $50.00 applied.

Q. Can I complete applications on a mobile device?
Yes, CSGA applications and forms are mobile friendly.

Q. I would like to provide an application package to someone who is not currently a seed grower. What are the first steps?
Thank you for encouraging others to become seed growers. We suggest that all new growers carefully read the Getting Started in Seed Production and Regulations webpage. The new seed grower will be asked to set up an account with CSGA by clicking on the 'Create Account' tab on the login page for SeedCert. Once this request is processed, CSGA staff will send an application package to the new member. CSGA staff are happy to assist new pedigreed seed growers so don't hesitate to contact us by email or at 613-236-0497 x8803 if needed.

Q. Can I submit an application on behalf of another seed grower?
You can submit an Application for CSGA Seed Crop Certification on behalf of another grower if you are named as an Authorized Third Party on that grower's CSGA Membership Application/Renewal form. Each membership application must be signed and submitted by the account holder. No exceptions.

Q. I submitted multiple applications but would now like to combine them into one application/field.
Before combining multiple applications into one application, please take a moment to consider whether it would be advantageous, considering your previous land use and crop isolations. Second, read CSGA's Field Definition Document to determine whether your fields can be combined into one field and still meet CSGA's requirements. If you still want to proceed with the combination, please contact your inspection service directly to inform them of your wishes and they will submit a request to combine fields to CSGA.

Q. How do I submit a tag?
Members who have received a request from CSGA for seed tags can submit them using the Tag Upload tool found on the 'Forms' tab.

Q. Why does CSGA need a map?
Maps and directions to your field(s) are necessary for inspectors to locate the field and for CFIA oversight. CFIA will not inspect a field if maps for that field are not available. Seed growers can submit maps electronically using the Map Upload tool found on the Forms tab of SeedCert. For additional information on mapping and available mapping tools, please see the Application Support Document.

Q. What is an assignee?
If you are growing a crop for yourself, you are your own assignee. However, on your Application for CSGA Seed Crop Certification you can assign your crop certificate to another individual or company. The assignment for both perennial and annual crops must be made each year on the application form. To assign a field on the application form, enter the assignee's name in the Assignee data field. The crop certificate and all information relating to that field will be sent directly to and be available online to the designated assignee. Please note that assigned crops will be listed under the Assignee name in provincial seed guides as well as the national Pedigreed Seed Locator.

Q. The variety I'm looking for isn't listed – what do I do?
CSGA requires that all varieties entering seed crop certification go through either 1) the CFIA Variety Registration Process, 2) the CSGA Form 300 process, or 3) CSGA's variety on-boarding process. If you cannot find your variety in the drop down list, please contact your variety distributor/representative to ensure that the variety has been submitted through one of the three approved channels. Visit the Variety tab in the top menu of SeedCert to see a listing of all approved varieties.

Invoicing and Payment Support

Q. When will I receive my invoice?
Your invoice will be sent after we process your application. Invoices are generated twice a month, on the 15th and last day of the month. If this day falls on the weekend, the invoices will be generated on the following business day.

Q. Can I pay before I am invoiced?
Please wait until you receive your invoice before making a payment.

Q. I lost my invoice. How can I get another copy?
You can view, download, or print invoices and credit notes on the 'Payments' tab by clicking the 'View Document' button.

Q. Can I check my account balance online?
Yes, you can check your account balance on the 'Payments' tab.

Q. What payment methods does CSGA accept?
CSGA accepts credit card, Interac payments (from certain banking institutions), and cheques. If paying by cheque, please include the applicable account number(s) on the front of the cheque. Credit card and Interac payments are accepted online in the 'Payments' tab by clicking the 'Pay Now' button.

Q. The 'Pay Now' button doesn't work. What can I do?
If the 'Pay Now' button does not work, enable pop-ups for this site.

Inspection Support

Q. When is the inspector coming to inspect my crop?
The Application for CSGA Seed Crop Certification must indicate the service provider that will be conducting the inspection or the application will not be processed by the CSGA. It is the growers' responsibility to contract a service provider prior to submitting an Application. To find a service provider operating in your region, please use our online inspection service search tool. To find out when your inspector is coming to your field to conduct your inspection, please communicate directly with the inspection service provider indicated on your application.

Q. How do I switch my inspection service?
When a grower wants to change the inspection service designated on their application, they have to send an email notifying CSGA about the change. Once we have received the email and after it is processed, the inspection services will be notified.

Q. What happens if I harvest my crop before the inspector completes his inspection?
A harvested crop that was not inspected before harvest is not eligible for pedigreed status.

Q. I need to schedule a re-inspection of my field. Who should I contact?
Contact your inspection service in the event that you require a re-inspection. CSGA does not arrange re-inspections but will indicate when one is necessary. You may also voluntarily request a re-inspection. For example, if you have taken actions to address a demotion or warning applied to your field, the CSGA may need a re-inspection report to remove the demotion or warning.

Q. I submitted one application for multiple fields. My inspection service is asking me to separate the fields. What should I do?
The initial application can still be used to complete the inspection of one of your fields. Work with your inspection service to identify a new field name and acreage for that existing application. Once you have reworked the original application with your inspection service, your inspection service will notify CSGA of the change required.

Q. How can I find out if my crop has been inspected or if my crop has passed inspection?
Visit the 'Crop History' tab for minute-to-minute updates on your applications, reports, and crop certificates. If you are unsure whether your crop has been inspected, know that inspectors must submit their reports within two (2) days of inspection. If no report is found within two (2) business days, you need to contact your inspection service. Applications which have not been inspected will have a grey icon that states 'Application Sent to Inspection Service'. A blue question market icon indicates that the inspection report has been appraised and CSGA is requesting more information before your crop can be certified. A green checkmark indicates your crop has completed the seed crop certification process and has received a crop certificate number. Your crop certificate, you application, and all the inspection reports are available when you click on the arrow (>) next to the field.

Q. What do the message codes mean?
CSGA staff use message codes to request more information for a field. In the Crop History tab, you can click on the blue arrow at the left edge of a row to see the message codes applied to that field.

Q. The inspector has told me I need to fix or take action on my field. Do I?
Inspectors may give you a warning but the final decision is made by CSGA. If the inspector has told you that the isolations are insufficient or that there are high levels of contaminants within your field, please wait for the CSGA appraisal of your report before taking any action or contacting the CSGA office.

Crop Certificates & Seed Certification

Q. I see colourful icons in the 'Crop History' tab. What do they mean?
Icons have been added to help seed growers quickly assess the status of the certification of their fields.

  • Green Checkmark Icon: The certification of your field is complete. A crop certificate has been sent to the seed grower or assignee.
  • Red X Icon: Pedigreed status was declined for this field.
  • Grey In-Progress Icon: The certification of this field is progressing as planned. No action is required from the seed grower at this time.
  • Yellow Dollar Sign Icon: Payment is required to complete the certification of this field.
  • Orange Question Mark Icon: Action is required. CSGA either requires corrective action or additional information to complete the certification of this field.

Q. How can I find the crop certificate number for my field?
When the certification of your field is complete, you will receive an email notifying you that a crop certificate has been issued. The crop certificate number will be present in the 'CC #' column on the 'Crop History' tab. The 'Crop Certificates' tab also shows the crop certificate numbers for your fields. For more information about how to sign and access your crop certificate, please click on 'Show me How' in the top right corner of the 'Crop Certificates' tab.

Q. How do I export or print my Crop History?
Your crop history can be exported from SeedCert to Excel or PDF by using 'Export to PDF” or 'Export to Excel' buttons found on the 'Crop History' tab.

Q. There's a mistake on my crop certificate. What do I do?
CSGA asks members to notify us of any incorrect crop certificates. Please send your account number, the CC #, and a note explaining the error by email or call us at 613-236-0497 x8806. An appraiser will take a look at the requested changes and will contact you if more information is required or will issue you a new crop certificate online.

Q. I have more questions. Who should I contact?
We are always here to help you. Please feel free to contact us by email or 613-236-0497 x8803. Our office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EST. A complete list of our contact information is available online.

Producing Seed

Q. How do I find pedigreed seed for sale?
A listing of pedigreed seed for sale in Canada is maintained at You can also contact your local agricultural supply retailer or seed distributor.

Q. Where can I find the regulations to produce pedigreed seed?
Canadian regulations and procedures to produce pedigreed (certified) seed are on our site under Regulations.

Q. What is the process for producing pedigreed seed?
In order to be sold as pedigreed, seed needs to be harvested from a crop that was inspected and certified by the CSGA. Inspected crops need to meet the previous land use, minimum isolation distances, and crop purity requirements described in CSGA's regulations for production of pedigreed seed (Circular 6). You can learn about the full process for producing Certified seed on the CSGA website or by enrolling in eLearning offered through CSGA Learn, but here is a summary:

  • Step 1: Growers are responsible for submitting an application for seed crop certification for each field they would like inspected to CSGA. Growers are responsible for sanitizing equipment, segregating varieties, and rogueing impurities from seed crops.
  • Step 2: CSGA appraises the application and sends it to the inspection service indicated on the application. The inspection service conducts the inspection and returns the inspection report to CSGA for appraisal.
  • Step 3: The CSGA appraises the report and if all of the production standards and requirements are met, a CSGA Crop Certificate is issued. If more information is required, the CSGA will send a request to the grower and assignee. This process repeats until the crop is either issued a crop certificate or declined for not meeting production standards.
  • Step 4: At maturity, the crop is harvested. Measures should be taken to isolate harvested pedigreed seed from potential sources of contamination.
  • Step 5: Pedigreed seed is then tested for compliance with the germination and physical purity standards described in the Seeds Regulations and can only be labeled with an official Certified blue tag by a CFIA-Accredited Grader. Each year, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) audits Canada's seed certification system by collecting several thousand samples of pedigreed seed of all classes.